Add a Mediterranean flair to your next dinner party, by serving your guests these delicious, pilchard-stuffed baked peppers. They taste as good as they look!
- 2 x 120g Glenryck Pilchard Fillets
- 3 red or yellow peppers
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 125g button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 wheel feta cheese, crumbled
- Salt and ground black pepper
- ½ cup soft breadcrumbs
Heat the oven to 150ºC. Drain the pilchards.
Cut the peppers in half and remove and discard the core, leaving the base intact to keep the peppers in shape as they cook. Arrange in a baking tray.
Tip the pilchards into a large bowl. Add the onions, mushrooms and feta cheese, and season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Fill the peppers. Scatter over the breadcrumbs.
Bake uncovered for about 1 hour until the peppers are tender, and the breadcrumbs are crisp. Serve hot.
* Red and yellow peppers are simply mature green peppers, and are usually sweeter. Choose smooth, glossy peppers, avoiding those that are wrinkled or patched with brown.
* Glenryk Pilchards are harvested using dolphin-friendly methods