Snack on these crispy pilchards while studying or serve it to your guests as a starter. With some chips or mashed potato they also make a great meal.
- Yoghurt Dip
- 1-cup thick, plain yoghurt
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ green chilli, sliced, seeded and very finely chopped
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 4 tablespoons chopped coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Crispy Pilchards
- 400g can Glenryck Pilchards in Tomato
- ½ cup plain flour
- 1 egg
- Lemon wedges for squeezing
Yoghurt Dip Mix the yoghurt, garlic, chilli, lemon juice and coriander in a bowl, and season with cumin and a little salt and pepper. Cover and chill.
Crispy Pilchards Drain the pilchards. Keep them whole.
Season the flour with salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Lightly beat the egg in another shallow dish. Dip each pilchard into beaten egg, then coat with seasoned flour. Shallow fry in hot oil until crisp and golden brown, then drain on kitchen paper.
Arrange the crispy pilchards on a plate with lemon wedges for squeezing, and offer the yoghurt dip in a bowl.
* Crispy Pilchards are also delicious with chips or mashed potato.
* Glenryck Pilchards contain minerals, vitamins and trace elements, which are essential for good health.