Perfect for your office lunch or as an accompaniment to your main course, this pilchard & noodle salad is versatile and quick to prepare.
- 400g Glenryck Pilchards in Tomato Sauce
- 200g macaroni
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 red or green pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 2–3 spinach leaves, trimmed and finely shredded
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespooons white wine vinegar
- Tomato sauce from the can of pilchards
- 1-tablespoon soy sauce
- 1-teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
Drain the pilchards over a bowl; keep the sauce. Roughly flake the fish.
Cook the macaroni in a large saucepan of salted, boiling water for 6 to 7 minutes until tender but firm to the bite. Drain well in a colander, then tip into a large bowl. Mix in the carrots, spring onions, pepper and spinach, and season with salt and pepper.
Dressing Mix together the dressing ingredients, and season with salt and pepper. Pour over the salad and toss well.
* If you prefer a thicker dressing add a spoonful of mayonnaise to the dressing. To add colour to the salad and make it go further, add a 400g can of drained whole kernel corn.