Fresh and tasty, this is the perfect salad for hot summer’s days or when you’re just not up for a big meal. Also a great side when you’re grilling.
- 2 x 120g Glenryck Pilchard Fillets
- 2 corn on the cob
- 1 small, crisp lettuce
- 1 red or yellow pepper cored, seeded and sliced into strips
- ½ cup oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- 1-teaspoon brown sugar
- Salt and ground black pepper
Drain the pilchards. Break the fish into strips.
Cut the corn on the cob into ‘wheels’. Cook for about 15 minutes until tender in a saucepan of boiling water. Drain.
Arrange the lettuce leaves on a plate with the pilchards, corn on the cob wheels and pepper strips.
Dressing: Whisk the ingredients together in a small jug. Pour over the salad shortly before serving.
* Glenryck Pilchards are high in protein, which plays a role in protecting the body against disease.
* Corn on the cob (also known as sweetcorn and maize) grow throughout the year, but are at their best in summer. Corn on the cob should be eaten as soon as possible after picking as the sugar quickly converts to starch, so the sweetness is lost. When shopping for corn on the cob choose perfect specimens with plump, glossy kernels.